Under Marsy's Law, a victim has the right to receive reasonable notice of, and to be present at, all court proceedings.
- In order to receive these notifications, you must contact the prosecuting attorney's office. You will need to provide contact information.
You also have the right to receive notice of the defendant's release or escape from custody. You can contact the custodial facility directly (local jail or ND Department of Corrections) or register to receive automated notifications.
Stay Informed - Sign Up for Automated Victim Notifications
The state of North Dakota also offers a free program that provides confidential notifications to victims - the Statewide Automated Victim Information and Notification (ND SAVIN) program. This program uses the Victim Information and Notification Every Day (VINE) system to generate automated notifications by telephone, text or email.
Multiple registration options are available on ND SAVIN. You may select to register to receive some or all of the following types of notifications, but each option requires a separate registration.
How to Sign Up
For each registration, the link takes you to a "search" page where you enter the offender's first and last name. The registration process begins on the next page, which contains the results of the offender name search.
- Offender incarceration
- For jails, incarceration notifications include release (with reason when provided), escape, return to custody, transfer, and additional notifications, where available (such as death, temporary leave, and work release).
- For DOCR notifications it includes all the notifications above, as well as when an offender is out to court, returned from court, 30-day advance release, has transferred to another facility, and parole board notifications.
- Offender Criminal Case
- Hearings, case status, and disposition.
- Offender Parole & Probation
- Change of address, offender absconded or returned, offender revocation status and off-revocation status, and expiration/discharge.
- Protection and Restraining Orders
- Service of order, hearing schedule and changes, order status, and expiration (with 30 day advance notice).
Register by Telephone
If you prefer, you can register for these automated notifications by telephone. Call (866) 631-8463 and then press 1-1-0 to speak to a live operator.
- Notifications are made via phone call, text message or email. Telephone notification attempts continue for 48 hours or until confirmed, whichever occurs first.
- Recipients confirm notification calls by pressing "2."
Changes to Contact Information
You are responsible for ensuring that your contact information is kept up-to-date. If your contact information (address, phone, email) changes, you will need to tell the prosecuting attorney. Also, don't forget to update your contact information with the jail/DOCR and also on ND SAVIN so that you continue to receive the free notifications.
- To update contact information with ND SAVIN, call (866) 631-8463 and press 1-1-0 to speak to a representative who can assist with updates.
Stay Informed about Sex Offenders
Find information about the state's registered offenders on the North Dakota Sex Offender Website.