Retail Alcoholic Beverage License

Any person who intends to engage in the retail sale of alcoholic beverages must be licensed by the Attorney General. Submit the required application forms at least four to six weeks before you wish to engage in the retail sale of alcoholic beverages.


RENEWAL: The state retail alcoholic beverage license must be renewed on or before December 31st each year, by completing the Application form SFN 11066 (see #1 below) and remitting the license renewal fee. Late renewals will be required to pay an additional license reinstatement fee. Licenses not submitted for renewal before close of business on the last working day in February are considered expired and cannot be renewed. It takes approximately 2-3 weeks to process a license renewal.


To apply for a new state retail alcoholic beverage license, complete and submit the following:


  1. Application for a State Retail Alcoholic Beverage License (SFN 11066) and the appropriate license fee.
  2. Personal Information Form (SFN 10866) for any owner, manager, officer, director, shareholder, member, governor, or partner.
    • ​​A Personal Information form must be submitted every time there is a change in the owner, manager, officer, director, shareholder, member, governor, or partner of a licensee, and every individual must complete an updated form every five years.
      • If an individual has lived outside of North Dakota during the last five years, contact the Licensing section at (701) 328-2329 for additional instructions.
      • If an individual was born outside of the United States, documentation of legal residency of the United States must be provided.
  3. Alcoholic Beverage Floor Plan (SFN 14985)
    • The floor plan delineates the area to be licensed and must include the dimensions of the rooms/area to be licensed. Alcoholic beverages may only be sold/dispensed within the licensed area.
      • To amend the floor plan for an existing licensed location, complete and submit an updated form.
  4. A copy of the beer and/or liquor licenses issued from the local city, county, or tribal authority in the applicant’s name.
    • If the business is in an organized township, also complete and submit the Township Board Consent form (SFN 14337).
  5. A copy of the most recent health inspection report and fire safety inspection report for the premises to be licensed. For the health inspection, contact the local health district unit. For the fire inspection, contact the local fire department. A local fire department may complete its own inspection report or use the Assembly Occupancy Inspection (SFN 16838).
    • The State Fire Marshal’s office will review all submitted fire inspection reports and floor plans to ensure the building meets current fire safety requirements and is fully compliant. Any items marked non-compliant on a report or noted as deficient by the State Fire Marshal must be corrected and proof of compliance submitted to the Licensing section before the state retail alcoholic beverage license will be issued.
  6. A copy of the purchase agreement, if the applicant is purchasing the premises to be licensed, OR the rent or lease agreement, if the applicant is renting or leasing the premises, OR, if the applicant owns the premises, proof of ownership.
  7. If the applicant is a corporation, LLC or partnership, provide documentation verifying the ownership of the entity applying for license. If the applicant is a nonprofit corporation or cooperative association, provide documentation verifying the officers and board of directors/trustees or full governing board provided on the application form.



Review the Laws


The state retail alcoholic beverage laws are contained in North Dakota Century Code Title 5.

Additional regulations are contained in North Dakota Administrative Code Art 10-08.



Retail Alcohol Sales – Prohibitions


Licensed establishments are prohibited from dispensing or allowing the consumption of alcoholic beverages on licensed premises:


  • Between 2:00 AM and 8:00 AM on any day of the week;
  • After 6:00 PM on Christmas Eve, and all of Christmas Day;
  • No off-sale after 2:00 AM on Thanksgiving Day or between 2:00 AM and 8:00 AM on Sundays.


There may be local ordinances that are more restrictive, therefore be certain to check with the city or county that has local jurisdiction over the specific premises.


  • Report violations of the alcoholic beverage laws to the local law enforcement agency.

Office of Attorney General
General Inquiries
(701) 328-2210


(701) 328-3404
1-800-472-2600 within ND only

Tip Line

1-800-472-2185 within ND only

Concealed Weapon
Licensing Unit

(701) 328-5523

National Human Trafficking
Resource Center