Reporting Identity Theft

If you are a victim of Identity Theft, take the following steps as soon as possible:

  1. Contact one of the three major credit reporting agencies to file a free Fraud Alert. The 1-year alert helps to prevent the identity thief from opening new accounts in your name. You only need to contact one agency because that agency is required by law to notify the other two agencies.
  2. Report the identity theft to the card issuer or financial institution to prevent additional charges on the fraudulent account.
  3. File an  Identity Theft Report with the Federal Trade Commission. You will have to provide personal information.
    • Use the Federal Trade Commission’s secure and easy online ID Theft Reporting website at
    • Or, file the report with the FTC by telephone, toll free 1-877-438-4338.

Office of Attorney General
General Inquiries
(701) 328-2210


(701) 328-3404
1-800-472-2600 within ND only

Tip Line

1-800-472-2185 within ND only

Concealed Weapon
Licensing Unit

(701) 328-5523

National Human Trafficking
Resource Center