If you are a victim of Identity Theft, take the following steps as soon as possible:
- Contact one of the three major credit reporting agencies to file a free Fraud Alert. The 1-year alert helps to prevent the identity thief from opening new accounts in your name. You only need to contact one agency because that agency is required by law to notify the other two agencies.
- Report the identity theft to the card issuer or financial institution to prevent additional charges on the fraudulent account.
- File an Identity Theft Report with the Federal Trade Commission. You will have to provide personal information.
- Use the Federal Trade Commission’s secure and easy online ID Theft Reporting website at identitytheft.gov.
- Or, file the report with the FTC by telephone, toll free 1-877-438-4338.