Find a Test Administrator

Only test administrators authorized by the BCI may conduct the training and testing for a North Dakota Concealed Weapon License.


List of Test Administrators


  • The test administrator may charge up to $50 (plus range fees, if applicable). This fee includes a complete copy of the current Concealed Weapon License Manual for you to keep.
    • If you require modification to accommodate a disability, contact the test administrator. The test administrator will coordinate with the BCI to identify the necessary documentation of a need for modification and, if approved, the necessary modifications.  Approval for requested modifications is on a case-by-case basis.



What testing is Required?

first-time applicants must pass a written (open book) test based on the Concealed Weapon License Manual. The fees charged by the Test Administrator include a copy of the Manual for you to keep.


In addition, applicants for a Class 1 license must (1) complete classroom instruction, (2) demonstrate familiarity with the weapon, and (3) successfully complete a firearms proficiency (shooting) test.


  • Licensed active duty North Dakota Peace Officers are exempt from testing.
  • The testing requirements cannot be waived for any other applicant, for any reason.


All testing must take place within the state of North Dakota and cannot be held in conjunction with testing for any other state. The application must be submitted to the BCI within 30 days of the testing date.


  • If you are renewing a Class 1 license or upgrading from a Class 2 license, you must complete the same testing as for the initial Class 1 license.
  • No additional testing is required if you are renewing a current Class 2 license or downgrading from a Class 1 to a Class 2 license.
  • We cannot accept any other state’s training – or any other concealed carry class – in place of the required training conducted by a certified ND test administrator.

Office of Attorney General
General Inquiries
(701) 328-2210


(701) 328-3404
1-800-472-2600 within ND only

Tip Line

1-800-472-2185 within ND only

Concealed Weapon
Licensing Unit

(701) 328-5523

National Human Trafficking
Resource Center