Concealed Weapon License Frequently Asked Questions

These answers, and more, can also be found in the application instructions, the North Dakota Concealed Weapon License Manual, North Dakota Century Code 62.1-04, or in North Dakota Administrative Code 10-12.


Application Fee

Q:  What is the application fee for a ND Concealed Weapon License?

A:  $60 cashier’s check or money order (no personal checks) payable to ND Attorney General.


Application Status

Q:  What is the status of my application?  Was my application received?

A:  The NDBCI is prohibited by law from providing information about the status of a concealed weapon license application to anyone, even the applicant.  An applicant wanting confirmation that their application was received is asked to mail their application to the NDBCI via certified mail/return receipt.  For more information, click here.


Expired License

Q:  Can I renew an expired license?

A:  An expired license is invalid and cannot be renewed; you will need to apply as a new applicant and complete all required testing.


Class 1 -vs- Class 2 ND Concealed Weapon License

Q:  What is the difference between Class 1 and Class 2 ND Concealed Weapon License?

A:  The only difference between a Class 1 license and a Class 2 license is – Reciprocity.  Both licenses are equally valid within North Dakota, but because of the additional testing requirements, the holders of a Class 1 license have reciprocity in more states than those who hold a Class 2 license.  For more information, click here.


Renewing a Class 1 or Class 2 ND Concealed Weapon License

Q:  How do I renew my ND Concealed Weapon License?

A:  To renew a Class 1 license, you must retake all the training and testing every five years as if you were a new applicant.  Testing is not required to renew a Class 2 license; however, you must submit your Class 2 renewal application to the NDBCI within the six-month renewal window prior to your current license’s expiration date.  The NDBCI will use fingerprints currently on file for an applicant whose license has not yet expired.  For more information, click here.


Constitutional Concealed Carry

Q:  What is Constitutional Concealed Carry?

A:  Constitutional Concealed Carry only allows concealed carry of a firearm by an eligible individual within the boundaries of North Dakota.  A North Dakota resident will need a North Dakota Concealed Weapon License to carry concealed outside of North Dakota.  Reciprocity with other states applies only if you possess a valid concealed weapon license.  For more information, click here.


Out-of-State License Not Transferrable to North Dakota

Q:  Can I transfer another state’s concealed carry training or concealed carry license to ND when I become a ND resident?

A:  No.  If you want to obtain a ND Concealed Weapon License, you must apply for a license and comply with all requirements for new applicants, including completing the required training and testing conducted within the state of North Dakota.  For more information, click here.


Stun Guns, Defense Sprays, Tasers

Q:  Are Stun Guns, Defense Sprays, or Tasers defined as “Dangerous Weapons”?

A:  Stun guns and defense sprays (such as pepper spray) are exempt from the definition of “dangerous weapons” and therefore you do not need a concealed weapon license to carry those items concealed (e.g., in a purse or bag, under clothing, under the vehicle seat or in the vehicle’s glove box) within North Dakota.


A Taser that only delivers a single application of voltage is not considered a dangerous weapon and may be carried without a concealed weapon license.  However, if the Taser is capable of delivering multiple applications of voltage, you must have a North Dakota Concealed Weapon License.


Wearing Face Masks

Q:  Can I wear a face mask while carrying under a ND Concealed Weapon License?

A:  There is no general prohibition against wearing a face mask for lawful purposes, such as to comply with public health requirements.

Office of Attorney General
General Inquiries
(701) 328-2210


(701) 328-3404
1-800-472-2600 within ND only

Tip Line

1-800-472-2185 within ND only

Concealed Weapon
Licensing Unit

(701) 328-5523

National Human Trafficking
Resource Center