Any person who intends to engage in the retail sales of tobacco products in the state of North Dakota, or manufacture and import tobacco products into this state, or distribute tobacco products to retailers must be licensed by the Office of Attorney General.
New Federal T-21 Laws
The federal government recently passed new tobacco related laws ("T21"), through the Food & Drug Administration. To ensure compliance with federal requirements, please consult an attorney in private practice. The Office of Attorney General cannot provide legal advice or assistance.
Apply for a License
The same application form is used for all new and renewal tobacco license applications. A dealer or retail application must be accompanied by a fee of $15. A distributor, manufacturer or wholesaler application must be accompanied by a fee of $25 and a $1,000 surety bond (with a new application only). Licenses expire on June 30 each year and must be renewed prior to expiration or an additional reinstatement fee will be required.
- Application for License to Sell Tobacco Products (SFN 61612)
- Bond for Cigarettes, Cigarette Papers, Snuff, Cigars or Tobacco Distributor (SFN 6967).
Fire Safety Standards for Cigarettes
Before a manufacturer may sell a cigarette brand in North Dakota, the brand must be certified by the State Fire Marshal in accordance with N.D.C.C. Chapter 18-13.
- A manufacturer must submit an Ignition Propensity for Cigarettes Certification Application form, along with all required documentation.
- The application fee is $250 per brand style.
- The brand certification must be renewed every three years.
Review the list of certified Cigarettes by Manufacturer.
Cigarette Making Machines
No person may maintain or operate a cigarette-making machine unless the machine has been registered with the Attorney General. Complete the registration form and affidavit and submit both documents, along with additional documents as required.
- Registration of Cigarette Making Machine (SFN 60353);
- You must include a copy of a valid federal permit as a Tobacco Product Manufacturer.
- Affidavit for Registration of Cigarette-Making Machine (SFN 60354).
Review the Laws
The laws relating to tobacco products are contained in N.D.C.C. Chapter 57-36.