The Fire Code of North Dakota is adopted through the North Dakota Administrative Code 10-07-01. The current version adopted is the International Fire Code (2018 Edition). The International Fire Code references codes and standards from other organizations including the National Fire Prevention Association (NFPA).
Delegation of Authority
The State Fire Marshal’s Office has a Delegation of Authority agreement with some local fire departments. Questions regarding fire codes, installations, etc., should be directed to the following local fire authority:
|Bismarck FD||(701) 355-1400||Minot City FD||(701) 857-4740|
|Devils Lake FD||(701) 662-3913||Minot Rural FD||(701) 838-6363|
|Dickinson FD||(701) 456-7625||West Fargo FD||(701) 433-5380|
|Fargo FD||(701) 241-1540||Williams Co Fire Inspections Dept||(701) 577-4500|
|Grand Forks FD||(701) 746-2566||Williston FD||(701) 572-2196|
|Mandan FD||(701) 667-3288|
Applications for Approval of Plans
The following applications are provided for contractors and the general public to help in conforming to applicable Fire Code requirements. Submit the forms to the local fire authority having jurisdiction, or, if no local authority, to the State Fire Marshal’s office.
Fire Protection Systems
- SFN 61949-Application for Acceptance of Fire Protection Systems
- Used to request review of plans when there is a new or change of use occupancy.
Above-ground Storage of Flammables/Combustibles/LPG
- SFN 42039-Application for Acceptance of Above-ground Fuel Storage Tank Installation Plans
- SFN 52040-Application for Acceptance of Liquefied Petroleum Gas Tank Installation Plans
Protect adjoining property and waterways with impound diking around the tanks or by a second containment tank (double wall). The capacity must be sufficient to contain the capacity of the largest tank and the displacement from other tanks in the diked area. In case of a spill, contact:
- The local fire department;
- The ND Department of Emergency Services (Tier II) at (701) 328-9600
- ND Department of Environmental Quality Petroleum Tank Release Compensation Fund at (701) 328-5150.
- If a release may affect nearby navigable water, also contact the Region 8 EPA Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasure division at (800) 227-8917
Underground Fuel Storage
For information on underground fuel storage, contact the North Dakota Department of Environmental Quality at (701)328-5150.
For information or assistance, contact the local fire authority having jurisdiction or the State Fire Marshal’s office at (701) 328-5555.