Information included on the Record Check
A Criminal History Record check provides North Dakota records of:
- Convictions, regardless of how old.
- Charges that were dismissed, or did not result in conviction, or do not have a court disposition, and are less than three years old.
- When a deferred charge is dismissed, the charge continues to be reported for three years from the dismissal date.
- Jail or prison custody records less than three years old.
If no criminal record is found or the information is not releasable, the requester will receive a notice stating "No information is available either because no information exists or dissemination is prohibited."
Information Not included on the Record Check
The Criminal History Record check does NOT include:
- Charges that were dismissed, or did not result in conviction, or do not have a court disposition that are more than three years old;
- Jail or prison custody records more than three years old.;
- Juvenile records;
- Federal records;
- Most traffic offenses (Contact the ND Department of Transportation);
- Civil judgments (Contact the Courts);
- Records from other states.
Note - even if the information is too old to be included on the criminal history record check, it is always available to law enforcement officials.