Before Completing the Application
Note - ALL new applicants and any Class 1 Renewal applicant must complete the required training before submitting an application. Please contact a test administrator to schedule your training and testing. Check with the test administrator before completing the application - many test administrators provide a computer and printer at the training site for this purpose.
The same online application is used for new and renewal applications, and for both Class 1 and Class 2 licenses.
- Once you have completed the online application, you will need to submit it AND print a copy to mail in.
- If you are renewing a Class 2 license or downgrading from a Class 1 to a Class 2, no additional testing is required.
- The same application is used for resident and non-resident applications. Nonresidents: all testing must be completed within North Dakota.
- The application fee is the same for new applications and renewals: $60.
Online Application - New and Renewal
- Complete the ONLINE APPLICATION (this link takes you directly to the online application process)
- You will need a printer. The last step of the online application process generates a form that you are required to print.
You can review a license up to 180 days before the expiration date. Timely renewal is the responsibility of the license holder. An expired license cannot be renewed. Instead, you will need to start over as a new applicant and complete all required testing.
Can't complete the online application?
If you are unable to complete the application online, you can instead print the pdf blank application form (below) to complete by hand and submit to the BCI. Before doing so, please be aware that it takes the BCI longer to process these handwritten applications, which may result in a delay issuing your license. Therefore, we encourage you to complete the Online Application if at all possible.