The State Fire Marshal's office performs inspections on above ground fuel dispensing and bulk tank storage sites.
Pre-installation plans for aboveground liquid fuel storage tanks must be approved by the State Fire Marshal.
- Aboveground Fuel Storage Tank Pre-Installation Application for Fuel Dispensing Sites (SFN 42039)
- LPG Pre-Installation Checklist (SFN 52040)
Protect adjoining property and waterways with impound diking around the tanks or by a second containment tank (double wall). The capacity must be sufficient to contain the capacity of the largest tank and the displacement from other tanks in the diked area. In case of a spill, contact:
- The local fire department;
- The ND Department of Emergency Services (Tier II) at (701) 328-8100
- ND Department of Environmental Quality Petroleum Tank Release Compensation Fund at (701) 328-5150.
- If a release may affect nearby navigable water, also contact the Region 8 EPA Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasure division at (303) 312-6312.
Underground Fuel Storage
For information on underground fuel storage, contact the North Dakota Department of Environmental Quality.