<< All News

February 12, 2014

BISMARCK, ND – Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem today issued Cease and Desist Orders against David Alderman, now living in Montana and formerly doing business as Alderman Roofing & Construction, and Chad Edward Johnson of Michigan, ND, for misrepresentations and engaging in contractor services without a North Dakota contractor’s license and a North Dakota Transient Merchant’s License.

According to Stenehjem, his Consumer Protection Division initiated an investigation of Alderman Roofing & Construction after receiving a consumer complaint that Alderman had accepted an advance payment of almost $7,000 to repair a roof, but had not purchased supplies or performed the work. Investigators determined that Alderman was not licensed in ND. Attempts to contact Alderman were unsuccessful, and his construction company was involuntarily dissolved in December, 2013.

“The state’s licensing and bonding requirements are there to help protect consumers from fly-by-night businesses,” reminded Stenehjem “Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to recover money from these unlicensed contractors once they have fled the state.”

Johnson came to the attention of the Consumer Protection division after a homeowner complained that Johnson’s work was not up to code and that he had refused to repair a carpet he destroyed while working in the home. Investigators determined that Johnson did not have a contractor’s license. Although initially cooperative with investigators, Johnson, who is unemployed and has no fixed address, has not responded to recent efforts to contact him.

“Before handing over any money, consumers are advised to check that the contractor is properly licensed in North Dakota and then get a written, itemized estimate and check references from previous customers. A quick internet search can help identify a past history of complaints about the business, here or in other states,” said Parrell Grossman, director of the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division.

Contractors must be licensed with the Secretary of State’s office if they perform work valued at $2,000 or more. Consumers can check the Secretary of State’s list of licensed contractors online at or by calling (701) 328-2900. Complaints about unlicensed contractors can be filed with the Secretary of State or by contacting the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division at 701-328-3404.

<< All News