Alcoholic Beverage License

Any person who intends to engage in the retail sale of alcoholic beverages must be licensed by the Attorney General. The same application form is used for a new license or to renew a license.

The state retail alcoholic beverage license must be renewed on or before December 31st each year. Late renewals will be required to pay a reinstatement fee.

To apply for a new state retail alcoholic beverage license, you will need to complete and submit the following forms:

  1. Application for a State Retail Alcoholic Beverage License (SFN 11066) and the appropriate license fee. This form is also used to apply to renew an existing license. 
  2. Personal Information Form (SFN 10866) for any owner, manager, officer, director, shareholder, member, governor, or partner. 
    • ​​A Personal Information form must be submitted every time there is a change in the owner, manager, officer, director, shareholder, member, governor, or partner of a licensee.
  3. Alcoholic Beverage Floor Plan (SFN 14985) 
    • The floor plan delineates the area to be licensed. Alcoholic beverages may only be sold/dispensed within the licensed area.
      • To amend the floor plan for an existing licensed location, complete and submit an updated form. 
  4. A copy of the beer and/or liquor licenses issued from the local city, county, or tribal authority in the applicant's name. 
    • The local license may be submitted after the initial application documents when it becomes available, but is required before a temporary license will be issued.
    • If the business is in an organized township, also complete and submit the Township Board Consent form (SFN 14337).

Processing Time For a New License   

Submit the required application forms at least four to six weeks before you wish to engage in the retail sale of alcoholic beverages. If the application is approved, you will be granted a temporary license to begin retail sales, followed by instructions on how to complete the licensing application process and receive the license. 

Review the Laws

The state retail alcoholic beverage laws are contained in North Dakota Century Code Title 5

Additional regulations are contained in North Dakota Administrative Code Art 10-08.

Retail Alcohol Sales - Prohibitions

Licensed establishments are prohibited from dispensing or allowing the consumption of alcoholic beverages on licensed premises:

  • Before 11:00 AM on Sundays or 8:00 AM on all other days of the week; and
  • After 2:00 AM on any day; and
  • After 6:00 PM on Christmas Eve, and all of Christmas Day; and
  • No off-sale after 2:00 AM on Thanksgiving Day or before noon on Sundays.

There may be local ordinances that are more restrictive, therefore be certain to check with the city or county that has local jurisdiction over the specific premises. 

  • Report violations of the alcoholic beverage laws to the local law enforcement agency.